Enhancing Patient Care: The Role of Pathology and Laboratory Medicineibtehajahsan@gmail.com
Insights from the Administrative Director of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Aga Khan University
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at Aga Khan University Health System (AKUH) offers advanced diagnostic pathology services while focusing on excellence in pathology research and education. The department is comprised of five sections: Chemical Pathology, Haematology & Transfusion Medicine, Histopathology, Microbiology, and Molecular Pathology. It handles around 14 million tests each year. The AKUH clinical laboratory is fully equipped with modern facilities and serves the entire country through its main campus tertiary laboratory, as well as 300 specimen collection units and 13 stat labs located across Pakistan. The laboratory holds accreditation from the College of American Pathologists.
- Provide strategic support to leadership in achieving goals of Clinical Laboratories aligned with the institution’s vision and mission.
- Develop and implement methods and systems to enhance operational efficiency and plan for future resource needs and growth.
- Create strategies to meet patient volume targets through effective financial planning.
- Work with the Department’s Chair and CEO to conceptualize, develop, and manage sub-specialty and service development.
- Prepare and monitor strategies for future services and infrastructure development, in collaboration with hospital teams.
- Strengthen relationships with referring physicians and expand corporate business, while adhering to institutional policies and ethical standards.
- Ensure smooth administrative operations of Laboratories across the country and internationally, including coordination with the Department Chair and Section Heads.
- Establish a risk management framework in collaboration with Internal Audit and Risk & Compliance Departments.
- Identify staffing needs, develop staffing plans, and support staff development and training initiatives for continuous learning and growth.
- Lead by example, providing problem-solving support to peers, direct reports, and customers to foster strong relationships.
- Formal degree in Medical Technology or a Master’s degree, preferably in Business Administration or equivalent (MBBS degree is a plus).
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in Clinical Laboratories or management/administration in reputable healthcare companies.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, resource management, and financial performance monitoring.
- Ability to establish performance management systems and ensure accountability.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Excellent partnership-building skills to collaborate with stakeholders across functions for delivering high-quality patient care services.
- Proficiency in technical and administrative aspects of clinical laboratory operations.
- Strong analytical skills to solve complex problems and present information clearly to a diverse audience.
- Ability to make timely decisions, adapt to change, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Experience in managing large cross-functional teams, including sales forces.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally as required.
Join our Facebook Community Page:
Follow this Link to Join Our WhatsApp Community:
Follow Our Twitter Community:
Follow Our Instagram Community Page: